To accomplish this mission, APSE:
- Provides advocacy and education to customers of supported employment (SE), i.e. supported employment professionals, consumers and their family members, and supported employers.
- Addresses issues and barriers which impede the growth and implementation of integrated employment services.
- Improves supported employment (SE) practice so that individuals and communities experience SE as a quality service with meaningful outcomes.
- Promotes national, state, and local policy development which enhances the social and economic inclusion and empowerment of all persons experiencing severe disabilities.
- Educates the public and the business community on the value of including persons experiencing severe disabilities as fully participating community members.
People with all types of disabilities are employed, pursuing careers and building assets just like people without disabilities.
Through advocacy and education, APSE advances employment and self-sufficiency for all people with disabilities. To change expectations and achieve outcomes, APSE must:
- Champion the employment first principle that employment and careers be the expected and preferred outcomes of all publicly funded services for those with disabilities.
- Change philosophies, policies, practices and funding to advance employment, career development and economic advancement for people with disabilities.
Promote attitudes and beliefs that fully include and support people with disabilities to be part of the economic and social mainstream, to achieve careers and lifestyles like anyone else.
Empower individuals with disabilities to fully recognize their abilities.
Raise awareness within the business community as to the benefits of hiring individuals with disabilities.